Sunday, July 1

Parents and Your Mail

Imagine having 99% of your regular mail delivered at home. Home as in 'the place where your parents live'. They open all the mail that doesn't explicitly state on the front '100% confidential'- they will leave you to open these few but try to read over you shoulders or wink and nudge over dinner until you practically shove it under their noses to prove you DON'T have a secret lover. Then they phone you tell you, you received mail and what was the content. Then when you go home for the weekend they tell you here is you mail with all the envelopes (not even carefully) opened and filling you in with the details while you are trying to read it for yourselves. The following day after you have put your letters back in 'your' wooden incoming mail-box, they will ask 'Did you read all of those?'. *sigh*

Could be that I'm overly criticizing but my bet is on it that I could tolerate my parents a lot better if they stopped trying to know everything about me. It might for example inspire me to trust them and make me feel comfortable about telling things that they now try to find out in ways that are rather invasive towards my privacy.

No comments: