Saturday, August 14

Wedding Night


As I write, mere hours before you read this I help out preparing the stage wedding of a friend's friends. Two people who are dear to each other and to me will be (fake-) wed.

I always thought I hated the fuss. Having recently seen one of my oldest college friends get married to a very handsome tall dark 'stranger' had -I thought- put me off quite a bit. I loved seeing him and her so happy and brave to simply say we'll face the world together from now on, but throughout the ceremony I felt that it would be impossible for me to vow love and fidelity eternally ( a leftover from having scarred my heart once too often). Combined with a great lack of interest for cake dresses, family festivities and fuss about my person, I concluded that I had better not marry.

However, even knowing that nothing of what will take place today is meant in earnest, I simply adore being involved. I have been wondering a full two weeks about what to wear. I will beam with joy and pride when I am complemented on the choice of corsage and bouquet. I think constantly of event-appropriate music. Had I time and an oven to spare I would without a doubt have volunteered to bake a wedding cake. Already I'm jealous thinking how they will look at each other and the children, with pride, love, warmth overflowing their hearts.

Now that I am well beyond the point of sentimentality I might as well mention that either one of my sort-of-single sisters must marry or the one man that may be mine (if there is such a man) will not escape nuptial frenzy. The official paperwork I can and could do without, but I'll have my damned party.

No comments: