Monday, May 7

D&D : Ashlyn Silverskin of Impiltur R.I.P.


Only just had I introduced her to you or it falls on me to announce the death of Miss Paladin. I must be frank with you. I never liked her. I hated having to be her but when the giant ice worm spew a cone of ice, I think I felt the blood drain from my heart. I felt weak, helpless, angry, sad, devastated and lost. She is dead. I can still hardly believe it. I hear the mumbling of my rational self, "Good Riddance" echoes through the hollowness of my head, but I am in mourn. She is dead. Dead. And never to return.

3 comments:

Mane said...

Poor girl...
I remember the first time one of my characters died. My great example, the best cleric, and most cunning woman of all time. Dead. It totally sucked. Bigtime. She was killed by a partymember. (They say he was under the influence of an evil priestess, but to this day I am still not sure I believe that.) Anyway: Chocolate, poetry, lots of wine and living in reality help ease the pain (but I don't recommend the last two)
My sincere condolences

Bright Smith said...

I still remember the death of Einskaldir, my hot-blooded yet introvert Dwarf with the large greataxe (he who once slew a basilisk with one mighty hew) by some alien mutant monsters living in the cellars beneath the mage guild of Arabel, Cormyr.

Unlike some other DMs (hm, hm ;-) I do not enjoy killing characters. I know there has often been some emotional investment in a character, so the death of one can be unpleasant.

I always try to give characters enough options, so that they never have to walk right into death's arms. But sometimes a player of a character makes a stupid choice (like Faern...) or a heroic choice (like you and Sir Ilya) which turns out badly.

But characters get killed. And the possibility of getting killed by making the wrong choices is part of the excitement of the game (though dying itself never is...).

Dragases said...

One of my coolest characters ever was Aetius: a warmage on a flying carpet who could build catapults. If it wasn't for a certain partymember he probably would've end up as Mane's husband. Alas they were both killed in the same treacherous incident...

I still curse that day ànd the person responsible ;-)