Friday, December 8

Kvraagetaan

There is a man who I hold in high regard (though not the highest for the mud pool of my affection has a strict, very strict hierarchy) who has today by the mere act of blogging caused me to carry to the grave my lifelong antipathy for bands singing in a dialect from the wrong side of Ghent.

And because I must have an opinion: it is mostly about one song. The title would be 'kvraagetaan'. And I have no means whatsoever to translate or even try to explain what this means. Basically it means asking someone you like to start of a relationship. I have little inside info to give on the subject as my only involvement ever consists of saying 'no' twice after which time nobody bothered asking. Back to the song concerned: Melancholy and more melancholy, a sequence of memories (some barely ten years old) and the lament of going back to the time where everything was as simple as ' kvraagetaan'. Any deeper meaning and nuance is lost on me quite possibly because the language sung is not my native tongue.

No comments: